Wednesday, May 13, 2009

It's a.............

GIRL!!!!!!!!!!


What could possibly be better than another little girl in the family?!? Now some might call me crazy, but for me, nothing is better than seeing a little tyke running around in all pink! I think Savannah would beg to differ with me on this one, but she is coming around... :) After the overload of pink on Reagan these last 18 months, I think she is starting to tolerate it.... She might even on an off day admit to liking the pink.... Either way, I am so excited to have another niece to love and to spoil and to watch grow up!

Growing up with Devin was both fun and crazy! Having all of the foster babies in our home was a neat thing to watch with him. I can remember at 11 years old being so upset that Devin would be home from school and I wouldn't when the first 3 kids came to live in our home. We lived in Orting, and so I quickly RAN home from school (across the street) to see to it that Devin didn't get any additional time with the kids than myself. How shocked was I to find an empty house with no little children when I got home.....they came at 7pm that night instead!

Devin didn't have a whole lot to do with the babies/toddlers. He obviously loved them but took no more of a role to them beyond that of a brother and what he was asked to do. Hilary and I on the other hand, took on every role we could (by choice) to be sister, pretend 2nd mommy, dictator, bottle feeder, clothes dresser, hair stylist etc. Devin thought we were just crazy, and that is when I first realized just how different boys are than girls!! Boys, in my 11 year old opinion, were worried about NOTHING..... Cared no more than required about others but themselves..... and In fact were really just smart enough to know not to deal with your crazy baby hungry raviging sisters! :)

When Devin and Savannah were waiting for baby Reagan to make her grand entrance, Devin was often working until 11pm or later most nights. I would head down to their apartment most every single day after work and Savannah and I would daydream of what she would look like... Whos chin? Who's eyes? Hair? Long and skinny? or Short and plump? We would also sit on their bed and time contractions. It was almost like a game! But after the first night, I realized something huge for myself. In the apartment nextdoor to theirs, a new baby lived with whomever his family was. This newborn would scream all night long, never ending, never slowing, screaming that newborn scream that makes all normal people suddenly feel the need to help because it is just so sad..... For whatever reason, the screaming never ended..... Each night we would think, that poor poor baby..... I remember thinking that this new baby about to be born would never have that problem. Perhaps the screaming baby's mother was just worn out and could do no more..... Per haps that little baby didn't have a father who cared.... Whatever the case may be for that particular family, I knew without a doubt that my new niece that was coming any moment would never have to live like that! My brother is an amazing father to his daughter and he will continue to be an amazing father to his soon to be 2nd daughter!! My brother is top notch! There aren't too many good ones like him out there anymore..... This new baby girl is so blessed already to have such a wonderful Mom and Dad and big sister Reagan and they too, are equally blessed!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Having your own is always different than any other baby. Rick had held two babies for a grand total of maybe five minutes before Keira was born and was SCARED TO DEATH of holding them. As soon as she came out he was holding her like he had been taking care of babies his whole life. Both of my girls have him wrapped around their little fingers. I hate pink too but my girls are always wearing it. I don't think anyone could have a girl and not have them wear pink. It is almost impossible. I wish they lived closer so our girls could play together! I miss all of you guys so much! If you ever find yourselves in Lacey come visit me! I love catching up on your blog and facebook.